Johannes Leiser, my patrilineal great grandfather, was born 25 September 1810 in Egelsbach, in the Grand Duchy of Hesse. He was baptized 3 days later in the Evangelische parish in Egelsbach. His parents are Johann Phillip Leiser and Anna Maria Finck. A farmer and a member of the parish council, he continued to live in Egelsbach until his emigration to the United States in 1855. He died 12 February 1888 in Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Anna Margareta Hinkel was the first of three wives. They were married 13 January 1839 in Egelsbach. She was born 7 July 1814 and died 11 May 1848 giving birth to their fifth child, an unnamed daughter who also died during childbirth. Other children born to Johannes and Anna Margareta included:
- Adam Leiser, born 25 December 1839 in Egelsbach, died 14 February 1853 in Egelsbach.
- Viktoria Leiser, born 1 October 1842 in Egelsbach, died 8 September 1843 in Egelsbach.
- Heinrich Leiser, born 17 November 1844 in Egelsbach, died 29 November 1939 in Okeene, Blaine, Oklahoma. Heinrich (aka Henry Leisher) is my paternal grandfather.
- Margaretha Leiser, born 26 August 1846 in Egelsbach, died after 1920.
Johannes married Anna Christina Schroth on 30 July 1848 in Egelsbach. She was born 7 December 1820 and died 3 June 1849 as a result of childbirth. The daughter survived:
- Anna Katharina Leiser, born 3 June 1849 in Egelsbach, died 26 December 1934 in Missouri.
On 4 April 1850, Johannes married his third wife, Katharina Behrenz, in Egelsbach. Katharina was born 5 October 1827 and died 30 December 1890 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Children of Johannes and Katharina include:
- Maria Magdalena Helena Leiser, born 8 January 1851 in Egelsbach, died 26 September 1927 in Minnehaha County, South Dakota.
- Elizabeth Leiser, born 19 February 1852 in Egelsbach, died 20 August 1930 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Peter Ferdinand Leiser, born 4 November 1853 in Egelsbach, died 13 May 1918 in Bond County, Illinois.
- Michael Leiser, born 3 Jun 1855 in Egelsbach, died before 28 Jun 1855, place of death uncertain.
- Frederic Leiser, born 21 March 1859 in Cedarburg, Ozaukee, Wisconsin, died 17 January 1917 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- John Leiser, born February 1864 in Wisconsin, died 29 September 1925 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- William Leiser, born October 1865 in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, died 26 May 1937 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Johannes Leiser, his wife Katharina and his children, Heinrich, Margaretha, Helene, Elizabeth, and Peter, arrived in the United States on 4 August 1855. They settled in Cedarburg, Ozaukee County, Wisconsin. His other daughter, Anna Katharina, also emigrated to the Unites States with her maternal grandmother.